Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Reading Picks from The House Therapist

Here are a few books which I'd like to recommend for your summer reading list.
I have a lot of interests, and my tastes are pretty eclectic. I'm always ready to curl up with a good book, a cup of tea or coffee, and sometimes would rather be reading than anything else! 

Three of the books were on the book list of a book discussion group I belonged to which was dedicated to green and sustainable living topics. In the case of Food Inc.: A Participant Guide: How Industrial Food is Making Us Sicker, Fatter, and Poorer-And What You Can Do About It
I also watched the DVD Food, Inc. - which was very thought-provoking and gave a more solid "visual" than the book.

World Made by Hand: A Novel by James Howard Kunstler is another thought-provoking novel which takes place in a fictional town in Upstate NY sometime in the not-too distant future in a world that has changed forever.

Liz Thorpe's The Cheese Chronicles follows the journey of making and selling cheese in America -- from field to farm to table. It's a fascinating read and gave me a whole new appreciation of the cheese-making industry.

Chris Bohjalian's newest novel, Secrets of Eden: A Novel had me staying up way past my bedtime because I couldn't stop turning the pages. Same for Jodi Picoult's latest, House Rules: A Novel which has some personal significance for me. Anna Quindlen's Every Last One: A Novel is another page turner which I couldn't put down. All three authors have been on my favorites list for several years and I've read most, if not all of their previous novels. 

Enjoy!

Secrets of Eden: A NovelHouse Rules: A NovelEvery Last One: A NovelWorld Made by Hand: A NovelThe Cheese Chronicles: A Journey Through the Making and Selling of Cheese in America, From Field to Farm to TableFood, Inc.

No comments: